In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

10.25.2013

:. a beautiful chaos .:

For various reasons (laziness being high on the list) it's been awhile since I've hosted family dinner. Last night we finally all came together.
There are twelve of us in the immediate family: six adults and six children. We grown-ups are all friends; we love each other dearly. And the cousins, well, they are absolutely ecstatic whenever they get together. My home is on the small side, so all of us together makes for a very cozy gathering. Very cozy. Some might call it chaotic.

Coming from the kitchen after seeing to the final dinner prep, I stood in the doorway drinking in the scene in the living room:

  • my wonderful sons, engaged in conversation, deepening their brother-bond
  • my two beautiful girls, sharing an armchair, talking and giggling madly
  • all six of my littles, their toys strewn EVERYwhere, laughing, running, hugging, sharing
I thought my heart might burst.
It continued through dinner - the stories, the laughter, the happy chatter.
The highlights?

  • the lovely prayers lifted up by the little ones before we began our meal
  • Josh telling his crazy fat raccoon story, every child in rapt attention 
  • Eisley guffawing that wonderful belly-laugh of sheer delight at the conclusion of said fat raccoon story
  • Liam explaining how he planned (with my help) to make a brain out of yarn
  • the way my kids love their nieces and nephews as if they were their own
  • the deep love that showed itself as we sat around the table enjoying lasagna and family
I found myself offering up a prayer to my wonderful Savior, thanking Him for such beautiful chaos.

1 comment:

Em said...

Beautiful indeed! I love our not so little crazy family!!