In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

8.10.2009

:. defining moments .:

Dateline did a look back at Woodstock last night. Hard to believe it's been 40 years. (Funny how these 'important' anniversaries sneak up on you.) It was an interesting show. They interviewed a handful of people who were there, complete with actual video and/or stills of them at Woodstock. Each one said basically the same thing: "Woodstock was a defining moment for me."

One guy, a seminary student, decided he did not want to become a priest. Another man decided to 'come out'. Yet another decided to go to Canada to avoid being drafted. Defining moments all.
While I think it's sad that something as trivial as a rock concert should become a defining moment in someone's life, that's not what this post is about.
The show got me thinking about defining moments in my own life; what they were, and how I've changed because of them.
So, here, in chronological order, are my Defining Moments:
  1. April 24, 1973 - the day I asked God to take control of my life. (How silly of the clay to think they know more than the Potter.)
  2. February 7, 1976 - the day I said 'I do'. (Nothing defines you quite as much as linking your hopes and dreams to another person, till death you do part.)
  3. September 4, 1978 - the day my heart decided to go walking around outside my body. (well, Emily didn't actually start walking for another 10 months, but you know what I mean.)
  4. March 4, 1981 - the day our family felt complete. (Little did I realize then just how much joy my Katie would bring.)
  5. August 2, 1997 - the day Emily said 'I do'. (I hadn't realized how wonderful it would be to have a son.)
  6. October 5, 2004 - the day my precious Gavin entered the world. (Grandchildren, the most beautiful of God's inventions.)
  7. March 24, 2007 - the day my precious Liam entered the world. (None of us knew what a treat we were in for.)
  8. October 20, 2007 - the day Katie said 'I do'. (Another amazing son added to our family. And by this time, I expected no less from God.)
  9. July 23, 2009 - the day my precious Tate entered the world. (Oh, my heart overflows!)
  10. August 10, 2009 - the day that is before me. (Because, really, every day is important. Every day offers us a chance to define our life, our goals, our purpose.)

5 comments:

#4 said...

wow...this is really awesome. I love you!!!!!!!

p.s. thanks for adding me in there as a defining moment.

#3 said...

Awwwww... this is a very sweet post. Love you!

barb said...

who ARE you numbered commenters??!?

Firstborn Son said...

it's kinda cool how many defining moments you can share w/ another person....

mommy said...

awesome observation, Firstborn Son!
I hadn't even realized it. Very cool.