In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

7.16.2010

:. smiley waving black guy .:

I saw Smiley Waving Black Guy this morning. Perhaps you've seen him around; if you live anywhere near this side of town, you can't miss him. He walks most places, always has a HUGE smile on his face, and waves at every passing car.

I don't know if he's crazy . . . or just really, really happy.

I hadn't seen him in awhile, but I caught sight of him from a few blocks away. And I realized how happy I was to see him. I love that guy. His smile is contagious; his happy, wild waving never fails to put a smile on my face. Of course I always wave back, and that makes him smile even more.

There's just something wonderful about seeing all that joy and friendliness emanating from another human being. (And yes, the thought has crossed my mind that perhaps Jesus has decided to walk these streets.)

Thanks for the day-brightener, Smiley Waving Black Guy. I'm going to do my best to carry a bit of your attitude today.

2 comments:

Your Youngest Son said...

Seems fitting that this was a C.S. Lewis daily quote today:

"No soul that seriously & constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find, to those who knock it is opened."

I think Smiley Waving Black Guy has found it, crazy or no. Maybe we should all be a little crazy.

barb said...

oh, how I love Clive Staples! Thanks for the lovely quote, Chris.

And what does it say about me that just because a guy smiles and waves I think he might be crazy?