The other day I saw an amazing thing. It was one of those lovely, warm days we've been enjoying recently, and a mom and her three little ducklings walked past my house.[Ed. note: Just to be clear, these were not actual ducklings; it's just the way I talk.]
The kids, all under the age of six, were each carrying a plastic grocery bag. They were running, laughing, having a great time . . . and they were picking up trash. It had been really windy a few days before, and yes, there was litter scattered hither and yon. Some of it in my own yard, and I was too lazy to go pick it up.
These children were having a wonderful time; seriously, you would have thought they were on an Easter egg hunt, they were that excited.
Kudos to that mom for teaching her children servanthood. Kudos to her for teaching them to do something without being asked. To see a need and do something about it. Kudos to her for teaching them to take care of the earth. To take pride in their neighborhood.
Either that, or it was one of those kiddie work-release chain gangs that you hear about sometimes. It could've been that.
And here's something:
I love things made in China. Love it when the translation is just a little off:
'Up to 10 Thousand of Bubbles in Minutes!"
And the warning: "Play only under competent adult supervision."
Competent? How competent do you have to be to fill it up and push the button?
Hhhhmmmm . . . . I wonder what adults I know that should be barred from using my bubble machine?


5 comments:
I love that mom with her kids!!!! So sweet! I wish I could have seen it!
And competant adult supervision...well, I almost tipped it over last night...hmmm...
I KNOW!! I was ASTOUNDED when I realized what they were doing! You should have SEEN how excited those kids were! She obviously had made a game of it.
Sooo great!
i love your colorful commentary on all things. :) hither & yon....
i, too, love all things made in china, esp. my connie chung.
oh these are lovely pictures! i had no idea i could comment on your blog until just now. the comment word is so tiny. and i am so blind!
um. i don't want to be anonymous!
Post a Comment