
"Like all mothers, mine was beautiful."That is a very memorable quote from a very forgettable memoir I read years ago. It has stuck with me all this time, nicely capturing the feeling most of us have for our moms.
[I realize we live in a sin-cursed world. I realize there are some BAD moms out there - neglectful, abusive, mean, or apathetic. But for the most part, moms are pretty wonderful creatures.]
Moms are generally patient, nurturing and loving. A mom has eyes in the back of her head, knows all, sees all . . . and quickly forgives all. A mom is understanding, sympathetic, a good listener, and has the coziest lap in the world. There is nothing like her. And yes, moms make mistakes, and get tired, and lose their patience, and sometimes even (heaven forbid!) get a little cranky. So what? They're human.
But this blog isn't about moms in general. It's about my mom.
I truly do have a beautiful mom. She is generous, kind and loving. She is funny, warm and an absolute blast to be around. She has had more than her share of heartache, but has always maintained a positive attitude. She finds humor in the everyday things of life. She raised ten children (did you catch that?? TEN!) without a whole lot of help. (And if I do say so myself, we are all pretty awesome adults.) She instilled in us a reverence for God - her source of strength. She is the original SuperWoman.
Today is her 80th birthday, and she is as beautiful and awesome as ever. She works part-time, she drives a sweet little car, she likes to kick back with a beer. She loves a good laugh, and is hilarious herself. She is still the selfless, loving, encouraging mom of my childhood.
Mom, you are AMAZING, and I love you very much. I hope I can be just like you when I'm 80.

1 comment:
Amen to that! She's one of my favorite people! Happy Birthday Great Barbie!
Post a Comment