In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

2.08.2010

:. 1 + 1 = 1 .:

Benny and I celebrated 34 years of wedded bliss yesterday. Of course, anyone who's been married for any length of time knows it's not always bliss exactly. But wedded we've been, for a pretty big chunk of years.
It struck me the other night, how companionable your mate becomes after such a long time together. You know each other so well, the slightest arch of the eyebrow or set of the jaw speaks volumes, words unnecessary. It's comforting, and safe, and lovely to know just one other person so deeply. To have one person be the one you turn to, talk to, listen to, share life with.
God tells us that in marriage, two people become one. One heart, one purpose, one Master. I can tell you: after 34 years, it's a wonderful thing.

Our children honored us quite nicely, foregoing the Super Bowl to share the evening with us. After a favorite family dinner at the Hulling manor, we sat in the living room, and Josh pulled out his guitar. Liam immediately ran to get his, and Gav grabbed the microphone.

And then we sang worship songs.

I can't even describe how amazing/humbling/beautiful/funny that was.
Amazing because this, THIS is what Benny and I began, unknowingly, 34 years ago. This amazing family is the product of two very human people who have made a lot of mistakes along the way.
Humbling because my daughters are wonderful, godly women who chose wonderful, godly men to spend their lives with. They are now raising their children to know and love the Lord Jesus Christ.
Beautiful because watching my grands is always beautiful! The way Liam imitates his daddy while playing guitar like a rock star is beautiful. The way Gav smiles as he's singing at the top of his angel voice is beautiful. The way Tate squeals with delight the louder the room gets is beautiful.
And funny because Liam can't play the guitar at all. But he sure thinks he can. It's hilarious to watch.

I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with all 9.7 of us gathered together, praising the One responsible for it all.
Thanks, kids!

3 comments:

Keeks said...

Love you both! What a wonderful night last night was!!!

Joshie said...

I realized as I was reading this what I should have said last night. Chris and I would both BE HERE without you and Benny...but we wouldn't be nearly as much. Love you with misty eyes

E said...

yay 9.7 yay!!!!!! wow! what a beautiful night had by all. we love you so much and are so blessed to have you (or i should say be had by you!)
smooches!