In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

6.22.2009

:. return to ordinary .:

Well, mommy and daddy are home, which means Gavin and Liam are where they belong. I know the boys had a good time at grandma's house, and then at Uncle Chris and Aunt Katie's. There is no doubt in my mind that they enjoyed themselves.

But oh my PEAS! did they miss their mom and dad! You may have read elsewhere that Gavin regressed as the week went on. It absolutely broke my heart to watch him slipping into autistic behavior, knowing I really couldn't do much about it. We cuddled, we reassured, we hugged, we sang. But we couldn't BE mommy and daddy. He knew where he belonged.

I've decided 'ordinary' is good. Routine is fine. There is comfort in the dailiness of life. So often we're not content with the small things in life; we want excitement and adventure. That certainly has its place, especially in the life of a Christ-follower (who is oftentimes called to step out of that so called 'comfort zone').

But in reality, isn't life mostly made up of ordinary, small, routine events? And aren't we called to be content wherever we find ourselves?


"Who despises the day of small things?"

Zechariah 4:10

I think we need to remind ourselves where we really belong.

No comments: