In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

2.23.2009

:. pleasant places .:

I have to say, one of my pet peeves is negative people. You know the kind: always complaining, never happy about anything, always seeing the bad side of things. I realize that sometimes life hands us desperate situations, and the silver lining can seem elusive or non-existent. I'm not talking about times such as those.
I'm talking about people who are really in a very good place in life, yet always find the nit to pick. Always see that dang half-empty glass.
Oh, you say, have some compassion. You just need to walk a mile in their shoes.
That's a good idea.
Because then I'd be a mile away and I'd have their shoes.
(Cha-bum)

But seriously, in my mind, it boils down to plain old ingratitude. You can't find ONE good thing in your life to thank God for? Really? There is NOTHING you can set your mind on that doesn't involve complaining?

Here's a passage that moves my soul:

"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me
in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance."
Psalm 16:5-6

Here's my current list of "pleasant places":

  • healthy, loving, close-knit family
  • cozy roof overhead
  • opportunities to use my gifts for the Kingdom
  • spare-time pursuits that are gratifying
  • children who are following God
  • grandchildren who are a delight and a joy
  • the promise of spring in mere weeks
  • morning coffee
  • books
  • friends
  • high-speed internet
  • new spring shoes
  • family pictures!
  • faith

I don't think most of us have to look very far to find the pleasant gifts that God has given.

What are yours?

1 comment:

This woman's daughter said...

*a family i love
*sunshine
*carmel lattes
*movies in theatres
*gummi bears
*nephews who sing songs about bandaids