In A Mirror Dimly

thoughts on life, love, faith, family . . .

and God, whom to know is life indeed.

1.18.2009

:. cavalcade of whimsy .:

  • Today as I was rearranging the vaseful of dried lavender that Gavin accidentally upended a few days ago, I decided the third day of creation is my favorite. That was the day God said, "Let there be lavender." What a lovely, fragrant flower! So useful as an herb; so beautiful in a bouquet; so sweet in the garden. How good of God to create not only flowers, but to add color and fragrance as well.

    I think that's mighty gracious.

  • So far, my plan to teach myself Hebrew is moving along rather s-l-o-w-l-y. I'm not sure it's really even possible, at least not for this girl. We'll see. I'm starting with the alphabet (aleph, bet, gimmel), which is, as every child knows, precisely where you begin. Hopefully someday I'll be able to read Bibi Netanyahu's blog.

  • I realized something the other day: we are all, right now, "walking through the valley of the shadow of death." Perhaps it's just me, but I've always tended to think of that line in Psalm 23 as referring to the point when we are actually dying. And then it hit me: the shadow of death hangs over us our entire lives, so we therefore pretty much live in that valley. Since that's the case, it's even cooler that we can say, "I will fear no evil, for You are with me." Thanks, Jon Foreman, for singing about it so beautifully.

  • Another thing I realized recently: the Bible mentions two things that God created out of the dust of the ground. Man . . . and gnats. I'm not saying it means anything, it's just, well, interesting.

  • Gavin and Liam get cuter, sweeter and funnier every day. I can hardly stand it. I'm so thankful for my girls, my boys, and my little boys (and little baby on the way). It absolutely brings tears to my eyes to consider God's goodness to me. He POURS it out.

No comments: